Recipe by A Messy Cook
I LOOOOOVE this stuff!!!! A lovely soup, filling and flavorful. It is chock-full of chicken, potatoes, and wild rice; carrots add flavor and color; cheese and milk give it a wonderful creamy texture. Serve with hot bread and fresh vegetables or fruit!
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, minced
- 3 cups diced unpeeled potatoes
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached flour
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic in sprayed skillet until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add to soup pot along with broth, carrot, and potato; bring to boil, cover and reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Gradually whisk flour into milk, add to pot, and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in chicken, cheese, cooked rice, salt, and pepper; simmer until heated through.