Recipe by MilanzMom
From Better Homes & Gardens [Note: To reduce the sodium, reduce the cheese to 1/2 cup and omit the salt.]
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/3 pounds)
- 1 cup shredded smoked rofumo cheese (4 ounces) or 1 cup smoked gouda cheese, Edam (4 ounces) or 1 cup cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon other cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a sharp knife, cut a pocket in the side of each chicken breast half. Stuff each pocket with about 1/4 cup of cheese. Secure openings with wooden toothpicks, if needed.
- In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt and pepper. Place eggs in another shallow dish, and place bread crumbs in a third shallow dish. Coat stuffed chicken breasts in flour mixture. Dip floured chicken in beaten eggs, then coat well with bread crumbs.
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken 2 to 3 minutes per side or till browned.
- Transfer skillet to a 375 degree F oven and bake, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or till chicken no longer is pink. Makes 4 servings.