Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe courtesy of Rachel Ray. I saw her make this on TV and decided I had to try it. I am putting here for safe keeping.
- 1 lb asparagus tips
- 1 lb dry fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 saffron strand (a pinch or 1 packet)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 16 sea scallops, trimmed
- Bring 1-inch of wate r to a boil in a large skillet as well as a large ot of water, for pasta. When the water in the skillet comes up to a boil, add salt and asparagus and blanch for 2 minutes, drain and reserve. When the pasta water comes up to a boil, salt it and cook fettucine to al dente.
- While the pasta water comes up to a boil, in the pan which you blanched the asparagus in, heat 2 T. of extra-virgin olive oil, over medium heat then add garlic and shallot and saute 4 to 5 minutes. Deglaze with wine, reduce 30 seconds then add stock, tomatoes and a pinch of saffron or an envelope of saffron powder. Simmer 10 minutes. Stire in cream then season sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
- While sauce cooks, heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add butter, melt then add the bread crumbs and toast them. Add salt & pepper, lemon zest and parsley, remove and reserve. Wipe pan clean and return the skillet to medium-high heat and preheat until very hot. Drizzle scallops with olive oil and add to hot pan to caramelize on each side, 3 minutes on the first side and 2 on the second.
- Chop asparagus into 1-inch pieces on an angle and add to sauce. Drain pasta and toss with asparagus and sauce. Serve pasta with seared scallops, 4 per person, alongside and top the scallops with the lemon scented bread crumbs.
This recipe was AMAZING. I cooked it for Valentine dinner I used small scallops instead (couldn't find large)I toppped the whole dish off with the toasted bread crumbs it is a keeper.