Recipe by lindseylcw
A Persian dish, lamb is so tender that it falls apart. From flavours of the world by Paul Gayler
Top Review by Tazibarn
I made this spot on to the recipe except I (unintentionally) marinated it for much longer so the flavours came through alot stronger. What a taste sensation! This is going to be a regular however I will marinade it for what is stated. Thank you lindseylcw!
- 4 lbs lamb shoulder, boned and rolled
- 4 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 4 tablespoons cardamom pods
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron strand
- 5 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the lamb with salt and fresh ground black pepper and make some deep cuts into it with a small sharp knife.
- insert the garlic slivers into the cuts.
- lightly crush the cardamom pods and remove the seeds, sprinkle over lamb and rub inches.
- leave at room temp for at least 5 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- preheat oven to 400°F.
- heat oil in a heavy based roasting tin add lamb and brown on all sides.
- transfer to oven and roast for about 30 mins until well coloured.
- remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, reduce oven temp to 325°F.
- put lemon juice and saffron in a small pan and heat gently, leave to cool.
- mix with lemon zest, yoghurt and sugar and pour half this mix over the lamb.
- return lamb to oven and cook, adding more lemon yoghurt every 30 mins or so, for about 21/2 to 3 hours until lamb is very tender and topped with a golden yoghurt crust.
- allow to cool slightly before serving.