3 hrs 20 mins
A Persian dish, lamb is so tender that it falls apart. From flavours of the world by Paul Gayler
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season the lamb with salt and fresh ground black pepper and make some deep cuts into it with a small sharp knife.
- 2insert the garlic slivers into the cuts.
- 3lightly crush the cardamom pods and remove the seeds, sprinkle over lamb and rub inches.
- 4leave at room temp for at least 5 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- 5preheat oven to 400°F.
- 6heat oil in a heavy based roasting tin add lamb and brown on all sides.
- 7transfer to oven and roast for about 30 mins until well coloured.
- 8remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, reduce oven temp to 325°F.
- 9put lemon juice and saffron in a small pan and heat gently, leave to cool.
- 10mix with lemon zest, yoghurt and sugar and pour half this mix over the lamb.
- 11return lamb to oven and cook, adding more lemon yoghurt every 30 mins or so, for about 21/2 to 3 hours until lamb is very tender and topped with a golden yoghurt crust.
- 12allow to cool slightly before serving.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shoulder of Lamb With Yoghurt and Cardamom
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.5
- Calories from Fat 645
- Total Fat 71.6 g
- Saturated Fat 29.0 g
- Cholesterol 217.9 mg
- Sodium 187.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 50.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: