Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Persian dish, lamb is so tender that it falls apart. From flavours of the world by Paul Gayler
Make and share this Shoulder of Lamb With Yoghurt and Cardamom recipe from Food.com.
- Season the lamb with salt and fresh ground black pepper and make some deep cuts into it with a small sharp knife.
- insert the garlic slivers into the cuts.
- lightly crush the cardamom pods and remove the seeds, sprinkle over lamb and rub inches.
- leave at room temp for at least 5 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- preheat oven to 400°F.
- heat oil in a heavy based roasting tin add lamb and brown on all sides.
- transfer to oven and roast for about 30 mins until well coloured.
- remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, reduce oven temp to 325°F.
- put lemon juice and saffron in a small pan and heat gently, leave to cool.
- mix with lemon zest, yoghurt and sugar and pour half this mix over the lamb.
- return lamb to oven and cook, adding more lemon yoghurt every 30 mins or so, for about 21/2 to 3 hours until lamb is very tender and topped with a golden yoghurt crust.
- allow to cool slightly before serving.
I made this spot on to the recipe except I (unintentionally) marinated it for much longer so the flavours came through alot stronger. What a taste sensation! This is going to be a regular however I will marinade it for what is stated. Thank you lindseylcw!