1/3 Photos of Shotwell's Famous Sugar Cookies
Chef #698497's Note:
This is a sugar cookie recipe passed down to me by my mother, who made these every year. They take a bit more work than some and the dough requires refrigeration before rolling, but it is SO worth it! Makes 6-8 Dozen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix 1 cup sugar with 5 cups flour and baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
- 2Blend butter in with pastry cutter/pastry blender until crumbly.
- 3Beat eggs slightly in separate bowl and add remaining sugar gradually to egg mixture.
- 4Blend buttermilk and vanilla into egg mixture, then blend egg mixture together with dry ingredients. I use powdered buttermilk mix.
- 5Chill dough in plastic wrap or plastic bags in refrigerator until ready to bake (or use immediately). If you are short on time, put the dough in the freezer for 15 minutes or so, rather than in the refrigerator overnight.
- 6Turn 1/4 of dough onto lightly floured board.
- 7Roll to about 1/8" to 1/4" thick. Cut with cookie cutters or hand-cut into circles or other shapes. Use cookie cutters that are relatively simple -- fancier cookie shapes tend to burn or break more easily with this recipe.
- 8Dip cookie top lightly into cinnamon/sugar blend or into nutmeg/sugar blend, or shake on top of cookies.
- 9Bake at 375 ° F for 6-9 minutes, until *very* light brown at edges.
- 10Put on wire rack to cool.
- 11Source: Barbara/Eric Shotwell.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shotwell's Famous Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1542 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 955.2
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 20.5 g
- Cholesterol 175.1 mg
- Sodium 793.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 147.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 68.0 g
- Protein 14.9 g