1/14 Photos of Shotts Fudgy Chocolate Layer Cake
After reading a brief article about the all-American chocolatier, Andrew Shotts, I wanted to try one of his decadent recipes that helped him earn his spot among the “Top 10 Artisanal Chocolatier” by USA Today. I can honestly say, hands down, this is the best chocolate cake I have ever made and probably will ever make. WARNING: If you are not a fan of incredibly moist and tender, rich but light, and fudgy but creamy chocolate cakes then this dessert is certainly NOT for you. If you are… then buckle your seat belt this is pure chocolate ecstasy. Use the highest quality chocolate and cocoa you can find. MAKE AHEAD: The cake will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (covered). Bring to room temperature before slicing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup hot coffee
FILLING AND FROSTING
- 1MAKE THE CAKE: Preheat the oven to 325°. Line bottoms of three 8" round pans with rounds of parchment paper. Spray pans and paper with vegetable cooking spray.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, whisk the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3In a small mixing bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- 4In another small bowl or glass measuring cup, melt the butter in the hot coffee.
- 5Using an electric hand mixer, beat half of the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients at low speed. Beat in half of the coffee mixture, scrape down the bowl. Beat in the remaining buttermilk and coffee mixtures.
- 6Pour the batter evenly into the pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cakes are springy to the touch. Rotate pans halfway through baking. Let the cakes cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Peel off the parchment.
- 7MEANWHILE, MAKE THE FILLING AND FROSTING: Add chocolate to a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream and corn syrup to a boil. Immediately pour over chocolate and let stand in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- 8Gently whisk the ganache until smooth. Whisk in butter until incorporated. Refrigerate, stirring frequently, until the ganache is thick enough to spread, about 30 minutes.
- 9In a microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup, combine the sugar with the water and heat for 30 seconds; stir to dissolve.
- 10Set a cake layer on a cake plate or cake cardboard and brush lightly with the sugar syrup. Spread about 3/4 cup of the frosting onto the cake in an even 1/4" layer. Repeat with remaining layers, while stacking. Spread the remaining frosting around the sides of the cake.
- 11Let the cake stand at room temperature for an 1 hour or more before slicing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shotts Fudgy Chocolate Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.4
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 108.8 mg
- Sodium 309.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 28.3 g
- Protein 5.1 g