Recipe by WhoKnew?
This easy potato salad uses a box of scalloped potatoes. I think it would make a nice, light lunch with some soup and bread. Let me know how it tastes; I haven't had a chance to try it yet! 2 hours of cook time is chill time in the refrigerator. From Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 1972.
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) box scalloped potatoes mix
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tarragon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled & chopped
- 4 large tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Empty potatoes into saucepan & add 3 cups water. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat & simmer approximately 15 min or until tender.
- Rinse potatoes with cold water; drain thoroughly.
- Place in bowl; cover & chill.
- In small saucepan, blend oil with sauce packet from potatoes. Stir in 1/2 cup water & the vinegar.
- Heat to boiling over med heat, stirring constantly. Cover & chill.
- WHEN READY TO SERVE --
- MAKE TOMATO FLOWERS.
- Cut off stem ends of tomatoes. With cut side down, cut each tomato into sixths, cutting through to within 1 inch of bottom. Carefully spread out sections, forming a 'flower'. Sprinkle inside of each tomato with salt.
- POTATO & SAUCE MIXTURES.
- Just before serving, blend mayonnaise & mustard into sauce.
- Pour over potatoes with celery & eggs.
- Stir gently.
- Spoon potato mixture into tomato flowers.