Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
from Bon Appetit, March 1992
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large eggplant, peeled, sliced into thin rounds (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Heat olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and chopped onion and cook until beef is brown, breaking up beef with fork, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in tomato sauce, red wine, parsley, crumbled oregano and ground cinnamon. Simmer until mixture thickens and is almost dry, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate.).
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and stir 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth. Boil until thick, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Beat eggs in small bowl to blend. Whisk small amount of milk mixture into eggs. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Remove custard from heat.
- Stir in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Season custard to taste with salt and pepper.
- Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Arrange half of eggplant in bottom of dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread meat mixture over. Top with remaining eggplant.
- Pour hot custard cheese sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking until golden and bubbling on edges, about 10 minutes longer. Cool 10 minutes.
wsill try this.