Recipe by GingerlyJ
I first tried this dish in the home of a Nigerian friend. I wanted to try it at home but was overwhelmed by the complicated directions. I was overjoyed when I saw this shortcut version on Fixing Dinner with Sandi Richard. uncle ben's rice works nice because it is par cooked so less starchy
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 10 ounces beef broth
- 15 1⁄2 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tsps curry powder
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1 small tomatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- 1.Place eggs in a stove top pot of cold water on high heat. Set timer for 15 minutes.
- 2.When timer rings gradually replace hot water with cold water from the tap. Let stand.
- 3.Heat oil in a large stove top pot at medium heat.
- 4.Finely chop onion adding to pot as you cut. Cook until translucent and just brown.
- 5.Stir in raw rice and beef broth. Boil until broth has just absorbed but rice is still uncooked.
- 6.Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 7.Combine tomato paste and curry powder in the un-clean pot, on low heat, stirring constantly for a few minutes until well blended and hot.
- 8.Gradually add warm water and bring to a boil.
- 9.Slice corned beef into chunks and add to pot.
- 10.Finely chop red pepper adding to pot as you chop.
- 11.Stir. Return rice to pot. Stir.
- 12.You will likely need to add water to just cover the rice. Return lid to pot and cook at low until the water has absorbed and the rice is tender. (Approx 20 minutes.).
- 13.Peel shell from eggs. Slice eggs and tomatoes and use as garnish on rice.