Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe takes very little to get it on the table without fuss.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb chicken drummettes
- 1⁄2 lb peeled baby carrots
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced (you can use another root vegie in it's place if you hate turnips)
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups frozen collard greens, , do not thaw
- Heat oil for about 2 minutes over a high heat.
- Add chicken, set lid slightly off, and brown well on all sides, 8- 10 minutes turning as needed Add carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and thyme, stirring to coat with the drippings.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook, covered for about 10 minutes Add broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a light boil, and cook 20 minutes.
- Add turnips, potatoes, and collards; and cook until vegies are tender and chicken is well done.
- Taste for salt and pepper and add as desired.
- Discard bay leaves.