Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I can remember my Gramma taking hours to make her Chicken and dumplings.. with this shortcut you can get that soothing taste without the time or effort
- 2 (32 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (12 ounce) can buttermilk biscuits
- For the Chicken I use Rotesserie chicken from the grocery store deli.
- in a dutch oven Combine broth, water, creams soups abs pepper.
- bring to a boil stirring often.
- add chicken.
- spilt each biscuit in half, horizonitally.
- cut each piece in half.
- drop biscuit pieces into boiling mixture 1 at a time.
- cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
Absolutely wonderful, I added a few of my own extra seasoning (garlic, onion, parsley, rosemary.), a little half and half, and about a teaspoon of butter. My husband ate the whole pot!
I needed a quick weeknight recipe for my family and I was craving something stew-like with chicken. I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. As I was dropping the biscuit dough into the broth, I was beginning to worry. I had a feeling it was going to taste bland and that the biscuit dough would become gluey. I was totally wrong. This recipe is delicious and so easy! My whole family loved it and it took no time or effort to make. I have a new simple recipe that I will make again and again.
GingerlyJ, these chicken and dumplings were excellent! They were easy to make and had that great homemade taste that I remember so well when living back home in the South. I seasoned some chicken breasts with Chicken Montreal seasoning, poured some olive oil and baked it in the oven then cut it into chunks. For the biscuits, I used Grands biscuits and cut them into 9 pieces, and added a mixture of ground sage and a little savory. My family loved it and we gave some to our neighbors who had never had chicken and dumplings before. They also enjoyed it. My 7-year-old said "Mommy, I love your chicken and dumpalees!" This recipe is a keeper; thank you for sharing.