Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of the best carrot cakes we have had. It is from Kraft, and is SO easy. I changed it a tad, by adding golden raisins to my liking, and I made it in a 11x13 pan, and added baking time to it until it tested done as directed. The prep time was based on shredding the carrots, but buying the prepared carrots cuts the prep time to about 10 minutes!
- 1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip Topping, thawed
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F, and spray baking pans with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare cake mix batter as directed on package, stirring in carrots, pineapple and 3/4 cup of the pecans until well blended.
- Pour into 2 (9-inch) square baking pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minute or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool.
- MEANWHILE, beat cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer or wire whisk until well blended.
- Stir in whipped topping until well blended.
- PLACE 1 cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with 1-1/2 cups of the cream cheese mixture.
- Carefully place second cake layer on top of first cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake with remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup pecans.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This makes a very chunky cake, not smooth like other recipes. And the spice cake isn't flavored as well as "from scratch" recipes. I was disappointed I took a shortcut by using this recipe. The frosting is delicious and was the only redeemable part of the cake.
Best carrot cake ever. No substitutions needed.
Very easy and quite tasty! I added about 1/2 cup of dried cranberries (Craisins) and skipped the frosting. We just topped it with some fat-free Cool Whip. The cake was very moist. I baked mine in a 9 x 13 pan instead of two square pans.