Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found in an old issue of Real Simple Magazine. Cremini mushrooms can be used in place of the shiitake.
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried lemongrass
- 2 inches fresh ginger, piece cut in half
- 4 ounces dry rice noodles
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1 cup fresh basil or 1 cup fresh cilantro or 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- hot chili oil (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine the chicken broth, lemongrass, and ginger; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the ginger.
- Add the rice noodles and mushrooms and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the scallions and remove from heat.
- Divide the rice noodles and broth among four bowls. Top with the bean sprouts and serve with the fresh herbs.