Recipe by I'mPat
Easy and economical to make for use to make your own pies and tarts. Times given are when using a food processor, if doing by hand add another 5 minutes. Don't include chill time. If you have hot hands would advise using a food processor. You end up with enough for 2 tart cases (9") or for the top and bottom of a 9" pie. If using for a sweet dish add 2 teaspoons sugar after you rub in butter. Use as is for savoury dishes. I have edited this to 8 serves for if used as 2 bottoms or a top and bottom it would equate to 8 serves, giving a truer nutritional panel. Still does not include sugar for sweet pastry. Please note referring to a 250ml metric cup for USA cups + 2 tablespoons.
- 12 ounces plain flour (2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces butter
- water (chilled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift plain flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl (or in the bowl of the food processor).
- Rub in the butter with finger tips (or use pulse button on the food processor) until mixture resembles course breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add water until dough becomes a ball.
- Remove and wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.