Prep 17 mins
Cook 13 mins
Wonderfully tender cakes--with the sugar, a perfect base for berry or peach shortcake; without the sugar and with a bit more salt, a great biscuit.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add butter and rub it in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk milk and egg together in a small bowl.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients, stirring til dough forms and turn dough out onto lightly floured board.
- Knead gently, about five turns and pat dough into 6" x 4" rectangle.
- Cut into 8 rounds and arrange on baking sheet, separated by about 2".
- Bake about 13 minutes or til tester comes out clean.
I made these as shortcakes and they were terrific! Great texture, perfect sweetness and the whole milk and egg made them nice and rich tasting. Topped with Balsamic Strawberries and really enjoyed - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2009
These are very good. I added a little bit more sugar to make them a little bit sweeter. I don't have a rolling pin so I dropped large tablespoons full of the dough onto a cookie sheet and it worked out fine. A little on the dry side. but I think that's so more of the juice from whatever fruit you use will be absorbed. I made Blueberry Orange Sauce to go on the shortcakes. It was a very good combination. I want to try these with strawberrires. Thanks for a great recipe Kate. Very Good!!
Pretty good biscuit recipe. Not as fluffy as I like mine, but still very tasty! Made for ZWT 3!