Recipe by Chef Kate
Wonderfully tender cakes--with the sugar, a perfect base for berry or peach shortcake; without the sugar and with a bit more salt, a great biscuit.
Top Review by loof
I made these as shortcakes and they were terrific! Great texture, perfect sweetness and the whole milk and egg made them nice and rich tasting. Topped with recipe #374418 and really enjoyed - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2009
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add butter and rub it in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk milk and egg together in a small bowl.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients, stirring til dough forms and turn dough out onto lightly floured board.
- Knead gently, about five turns and pat dough into 6" x 4" rectangle.
- Cut into 8 rounds and arrange on baking sheet, separated by about 2".
- Bake about 13 minutes or til tester comes out clean.