Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe has a few more ingredients than Glutenfreegirl's, but it's just as easy, and my kids loved it! Top with any fruit, like strawberries sliced and sprinkled with sugar. You could add whipped cream also, but we had to make it dairy free.
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9" cake pan or pie tin.
- In a large bowl, combine the starches through the granulated sugar, whisking lightly.
- With a pastry cutter, mix in the shortening until the dough becomes like small peas.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and egg and add to the large bowl, mixing lightly. It will be sticky, like cake batter, not like regular dough.
- Pour into cake pan, smooth top, and bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean; let cool.
- Top with your favorite fruit, either sliced or crushed, and whipped cream, if wanted.
This was wonderful. It was so simple to prepare and absolutely delicious. Recently we were diagnosed with Celiacs and my husband was worried he would no longer be able to enjoy sweets while being gluten free. So I decided to start testing recipes, this was my first and we were both so happy to learn that eating gluten free can still be delicious. I also served this to friends that are not gluten free and they couldnt tell the difference. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.