Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yummy. Top with fruit, cream, or whatever your heart desires.
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1-teaspoon-sized pieces and frozen
- 2 cups whipping cream, plus
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a food processor, place the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend briefly. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is the size of peas.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, add 1 cup of the cream, and combine with a fork until moistened. Immediately turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead about 10 times. Small lumps of butter should be visible.
- Roll out to a 3/4-inch thickness. Keep dough in a square shape. Cut into 6 pieces and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. (You can do this either with a knife, for square biscuits, or with biscuit cutters for round ones. If you don’t have biscuit butters, you can also use one end of a clean 8-oz tomato sauce can.).
- Mix the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of cream and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and brush on the tops of the biscuits. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.