1/2 Photos of Shortbread Sugar Cookies With Icing
I love shortbread and I like sugar cookies but a cookie that is both...that's heaven! This is the kind of icing that "dries" and makes almost like a candy shell on the cookie. When the icing is dry, store in an airtight container for up to a week. You can also keep the unbaked dough in the fridge for up to a week...but who can resist making these that long? You have to use butter to get the right taste. Sometimes just for a different flavor I add a teaspoon or two of almond extract.
My Private Note
doaen c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or generously spray with non stick spray.
- 2Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- 3In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add slowly to butter mixture on low speed. Do not overbeat! Only mix until flour is incorporated.
- 4Form dough into big ball and place in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Roll out chilled dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter or you can use a pizza cutter and make squares or rectangles. Another option is to roll into a log and cut 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 6Using a spatula, transfer to cookie sheets leaving about 1/2 inch between cookies.
- 7Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool 10 minutes on cookie sheet and then transfer to cooling rack.
- 8When cookies are cool, whisk together the icing ingredients and either dip the cookies or spread on cookies. You can smooth the icing with the back of a spoon.
- 9These are so good -- you should really double the recipe!
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shortbread Sugar Cookies With Icing
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.4
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 17.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 1.2 g