Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Lovely with tea!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 50 g cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 6 red plums
- 2 small bananas (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter or coat with cooking spray a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- For the crust: In a food processor, add all the ingredients and pulse a few times. Pat the crust into the bottom of the prepared dish. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Cut the plums in half and remove the pit, cut the bananas in small slices, sprinkle with a Tb of sugar, set aside.
- For the Cake: Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer (or hand held mixer), cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time and beating well, scraping the bowl if necessary, after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Spread the batter over the shortbread base. Place the plums and bananas (if using) on top of the cake in rows of 4 or so, depending on their size. Do not worry if they seem to stick out, the batter rises around them. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Ready!