Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A traditional British dish. You can add some grated lemon zest or vanilla for a special touch.
- The ingredients need to be cold before you start.
- Place the flour in a bowl with a little salt, to taste.
- Then throw in the butter and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour until you get a crumbly, sand-like texture.
- Mix in the egg yolk and egg, just until they are both incorporated.
- At this point the dough will be wet and difficult to roll out.
- Lay some clingfilm on your counter and place the dough on top.
- Cover with more clingfilm.
- Roll lightly to flatten, then leave to rest in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Shape as desired, then cook at 150 C or 300 F until golden.
- For a round shortbread using all the dough, this will probably take about 30 minutes.
I made this with the kids and they loved it!!! A nice pastry that is easy to work with. I also added a little vanilla sugar to the finished "biscuits".
A simple recipe that taste great ...I did add a teaspoon of vanilla. Thanks for posting!