Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a fancy version of lemon squares - perfect for company.
Make and share this Shortbread Lemon Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cold
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons lemons, rind of, grated
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a food processor, combine flour, powdered sugar and lemon and orange peel.
- Cut in butter until crumbly; process until mixture forms a ball.
- Pat into a greased 13X9 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until set and the edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the filling ingredients; mix well.
- Pour over hot crust.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine topping ingredients.
- Spread over filling.
- Bake 7-9 minutes longer or until topping is set.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into bars just before serving.
Something went really wrong with these. The crust floated or something and I couldn't spread the topping. Maybe I was supposed to cool it some after the filling cooked. Tasted fabulous though. Served them at Thanksgiving even though they had to be scooped out.
I think this is my favorite lemon bar recipe. The grated citrus rinds really bump up the flavor and set it apart from the others. I have had it in my Taste of Home collection for a while. Thanks for posting it!