Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
Treat the sweethearts in your life by gifting them with these big red edible hearts. They'll love you for it! NOTE: This makes 2 large hearts, enough to serve 6-8 people.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- heart candy sprinkles, if desired (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F Beat butter, powdered sugar, almond extract and food color in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in flour and almonds.
- Divide dough in half; cover half and set aside. Place remaining half on ungreased cookie sheet; press into heart shape, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Cool on cookie sheet 25 minutes; carefully remove from cookie sheet to serving platter. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place baking chips and shortening in microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on Medium-High (70%) about 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until chips can be stirred smooth. Drizzle over shortbread. Sprinkle with heart sprinkles.