Recipe by Jacquie*
Nestle Toll House $1000 winner
Top Review by p.g.cher
This was very easy to make and the results were super rich and deliciously dense. A tiiiiiny bit too sweet for my tastes, but I think it's just me because my entire family wolfed them down--there was much appreciative lip-smacking! The only thing I did differently was to press the pecans into the shortbread dough instead of mixing them in--but that was because I forgot them at first.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels (12-ounce package)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- sweetened whipped cream (optional) or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- chocolate shavings (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat 1 cup softened butter in a large mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.Stir together 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating until crumbly. Stir in pecans.
- Press dough into an ungreased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350 °F for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Microwave chocolate morsels and 3/4 cup butter in a 2-quart glass bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring twice.
- Whisk in eggs, vanilla, remaining 1 cup granulated sugar, and remaining 1/2 cup flour until smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over prepared crust.
- Bake at 350 °F for 25 minutes or until set. (Do not overbake.) Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 24 bars. Transfer bars to wax paper; dust with powdered sugar. Store bars in an airtight container. If desired, serve with whipped cream or ice cream, and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.