Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fancy tarts always have a delicious buttery cookie-like crust. Here's a basic shortbread crust to fill with your favorite custard or pudding.
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter (room temperature)
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy with electric mixer (about 3 minutes).
- Add extract; mix thoroughly (1 minute).
- Incorporate flour little at a time; mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and roll out to 1/3" thickness.
- Line a tart pan (10" x 1" high with removable bottom) with the pastry dough.
- Prick dough and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; cool and fill with pastry cream top with fresh fruit (kiwi, banana, strawberry, green seedless grapes, blueberries).
OUTSTANDING CRUST!!! I was burnt out on the whole "cookie/graham cracker" crust for pies so I wanted something different. I was making Laura's Incredible Key Lime Cheesecake Bars and wanted a lighter, not so heavy base. This recipe was perfect in all manner and complimented the flavour of those bars to perfection! NOTE: I doubled the recipe, ditched the extract, didn't chill it and pushed it right into place with my fingers into a 9" x 13" pan. It is NOT necessary to either chill this lovely dough or roll it out for tarts, Chefs! Just blend it, knead it for a minute and push it into place. I can't wait to try it for tarts.
This is worth TEN stars! So easy and delicious. DH says forget the filling - just make the crust and he'll eat that alone. Seriously, this is one of the tastiest crusts. As for rolling it out, I rolled it out loosely on the board with a little flour, then pressed it into the pan. The rolling pin I use (Pampered Chef) enables me to roll the crust even when its in the pan so it wasn't really a problem. We'll make this often! Probably too often. Thanks.
Made this up the other night for dinner with friends. I didn't bother trying to roll out the soft dough just pressed it into my tart pan and it came out perfectly. I did substitute vanilla for the orange extract only because I didn't have any on hand. Filled with a simple cream cheese filling instead of a custard and topped with fresh fruit. Thanks for sharing this terrific recipe. Will be adding this one to my regular recipes.