Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my mom's tried and true shortbread recipe. She got it from my grandmother. We make these every Christmas, and look forward to them every year.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 freshly grated lemon zest
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a small bowl.
- Cream butter, add sugar slowly, mixing well.
- Mix in egg and lemon zest.
- Add flour/baking powder mixture, mix in well.
- Shape into balls about the size of a golf ball, place on pan, flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake at 300° for 15-20 minutes, just until a bit golden on the edges.
- These last well if kept in a tightly covered container, and actually taste even better after a day or two as the flavors develop.
Great cookies! I added a couple of more tablespoons of sugar; the recipe amount wasn't enough for me. I added a tsp of vanilla instead of the lemon & they were great! My husband loves shortbread & kept on asking for more!
These cookies are definitely good. I did not have any lemon rind, so I just left it out. I added a thumb print of strawberry jam in the middle of each one, and they turned out great. Recipe says it makes 48-60, but I only got about 25? Will still make again! Thanks
Seems 325 at 20-25 minutes is better. Guess it depends on oven!