Recipe by ciao
This is my mom's tried and true shortbread recipe. She got it from my grandmother. We make these every Christmas, and look forward to them every year.
Top Review by LUVMY2BOYS
Great cookies! I added a couple of more tablespoons of sugar; the recipe amount wasn't enough for me. I added a tsp of vanilla instead of the lemon & they were great! My husband loves shortbread & kept on asking for more!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 freshly grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a small bowl.
- Cream butter, add sugar slowly, mixing well.
- Mix in egg and lemon zest.
- Add flour/baking powder mixture, mix in well.
- Shape into balls about the size of a golf ball, place on pan, flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake at 300° for 15-20 minutes, just until a bit golden on the edges.
- These last well if kept in a tightly covered container, and actually taste even better after a day or two as the flavors develop.