Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Taste of Home Magazine. Sounds delicious! I am not including the chilling time. You could use Splenda for the citrus filling to make is lower in sugar.
For the Bars
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
For the Filling
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the Topping
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a food processor, combine flour, powdered sugar, and lemon and orange peel. Cut in butter until crumbly; process until mixture forms a ball. Pat into a greased 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until set and the edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, mix together the eggs, sugar, and grated orange and lemon peels. Mix well. Add the flour and baking powder. Pour the filling into the just baked shortbread and bake for another 14-16 minutes and set.
- While the rest is cooking mix the sour cream, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix with a whisk or hand held mixer. Spread over the lemon filling and bake for another 7-9 minutes and the topping is set. Cool the bars completely and allow to chill for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight. Cut into bars and serve.
These were just okay for us. We found them too sweet, but I really liked the sour cream topping.