Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a winner in the Best Brownies Ever Category in March 2005 Better Homes and Gardens Magazine.
SHORTBREAD CRUST LAYER
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with foil.
- Stir together 1 cup flour and the brown sugar in a bowl; cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Press into the prepared pan and bake for 8 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, mix together the sugar, 3/4 cup flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, melted butter, and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips, and spread the batter over the crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack before removing and cutting into squares.
I'm giving these three stars because they didn't turn out well for me at all, but I think they could be impoved. I had a big problem with them sticking to the tinfoil, so next time I would either grease the tinfoil, or not use any at all and just grease the pan. I would also use a smaller pan, or increase the base, because I found that the base was quite thin. (My base wasn't cooked enough, but that's my fault). I also think I would try to find another recipe for the brownie top. I cooked mine for longer than the recipe called for, and the brownie top was dry and crumbly, but still really gooey on the inside, and I could still taste the granules of sugar. It was also really sweet, but I think that was all the sugar in it. I still love the idea of the shortbread crust and brownie top, and I will work on adjusting it.