Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
an unusual shortbread recipe in that this one also uses brown sugar and some cornmeal - it works!!! Delicious with ice cream, or on their own.
- Place rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees F.
- Cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add salt, vanilla and cornmeal and beat until combined well.
- Add flour, ¼ cup at a time, beating until just combined.
- Divide dough into 4 balls and on each of 2 baking sheets, press 2 of the balls into 5 inch rounds.
- With fork tines, score each round into 6 wedges and prick edges decoratively.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until shortbread is just firm.
- Cut halfway through each round along prick marks and transfer to racks to cool.
These unusual little cookies are soooo worth it....I have one when I get home from work late at night with a cup of my bedtime tea. Wonderful!!!
Great recipe. It was easy to make and was delicious! The shortbread is tasteful with an interesting texture, thanks to the cornmeal. I put jelly on it, and really liked the combination. My husband and I could not stop eating it! Will make it again for a special treat.
Once I got around a mis-scaling of the flour amounts for an increased recipe, this worked out perfectly. I made one batch with 3/4 c. pecans added - perfect amount. I also added vanilla powder and a bare pinch of nutmeg to deepen the flavour, and used only light brown sugar instead of the mix. I'm definitely going to make this one again.