Recipe by evelyn/athens
an unusual shortbread recipe in that this one also uses brown sugar and some cornmeal - it works!!! Delicious with ice cream, or on their own.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons white cornmeal
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees F.
- Cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add salt, vanilla and cornmeal and beat until combined well.
- Add flour, ¼ cup at a time, beating until just combined.
- Divide dough into 4 balls and on each of 2 baking sheets, press 2 of the balls into 5 inch rounds.
- With fork tines, score each round into 6 wedges and prick edges decoratively.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until shortbread is just firm.
- Cut halfway through each round along prick marks and transfer to racks to cool.