Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
The rice flour in the mixture gives more crunchiness:
- First of all beat the butter in a bowl with a wooden spoon to soften it then beat in the sugar followed by the flours.
- Work the ingredients together with the spoon then finish off with your hands till you have a dough that doesn't leave any bits in the bowl.
- Next transfer the dough to a flat surface a roll it out lightly to a round then transfer the round to a 8 inch flan tin.
- Lightly press the mixture evenly into the tin .
- Now you must prick the shortbread all over with a fork or it will rise in the centre. Bake for about 1 hour (gas 2 / 300F /150C).
Excellent recipe for shortbread. Not too buttery, not too sweet, not too floury and the amount of crunch from the rice is just right. For cooks who haven't made shortbread with ground rice, it comes as a bit of a surprise how yummy it it. The ground rice needs to be commercially ground (that is, sold as ground rice) not ground at home. Otherwise the bits would be too big. It helps to score the shortbread before cooking into diagonal pie wedges. It's a great idea to cook in the flan tin.
This is the same shorbread recipe that my Mom used to make and I have made (and eaten) all my life it is excellent, the only differance is we roll it out thin and cut it into shapes and it only takes about 10 min to bake, you can decorate them with sprinkles and such as well