Recipe by Derf
My favourite, no fail, shortbread recipe. Melt in your mouth delicious! VERY SHORT - JUST THE WAY WE LIKE IT !!!!
Top Review by BigSkyCuisinier
In order to make the recipe thick enough to roll it out and use cookie cutters, I increased the all-purpose flour to 3 cups. Also, I live in a high altitude area (above 4,000 feet) and increased the baking temperature to 335 baking the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes. I also highly recommend a stand mixer or get the flour started with the hand mixer and finish mixing with your hands. The added flour makes it difficult to mix with a hand mixer. I took the cookies to work and everyone loved them and a few asked for the recipe.
- 1 lb butter, softened (no substitute)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter until smooth.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Beat in flours.
- Form into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet.
- Flatten slightly with fork, or on lightly floured board, roll out dough to 3/8 inch thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutters and place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 325°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on rack.
- Store in air tight container.