Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this recipe from a few recipes and what I had in my fridge that night! You can either eat only the ribs or you can serve them in a shallow bowl with some of the cooking juices. Either way, they're tasty!
- 10 beef short ribs
- 2 cups juice (a tropical blend is nice)
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 shallots, chopped or 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 apples, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon better than beef bouillon (mixed in 1 cup water)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- I use my cast iron Dutch Oven (D.O.), but anything similar you have will work.
- Heat the D.O. on MEDIUM HIGH, and coat the bottom of the D.O. with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place as many RIBS as you can into the bottom of the D.O. You want each rib to easily fit.
- Brown each side of the ribs. (I do it just enough to "brown" the outside of the meat. Don't be scared about the inside being raw -- keep reading -- it'll be okay.).
- Add the chopped SHALLOT (or onion) and GARLIC and mix well with the ribs. (Cook them just enough to release the flavor.).
- Add JUICE, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE, and 1 cup BOUILLON MIXTURE.
- Mix well.
- Add APPLES and CARROTS.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a BOIL, then REDUCE HEAT TO MEDIUM LOW.
- Cook until the meat EASILY falls from the bone and the apples & carrots are totally mushy. (This should be about an hour.).
- Keep boiling the meat until it's how you like it (med rare, etc.).
- Remove meat from D.O., place the ribs on a serving platter, and let rest/cool for a few minutes as the bones will be very hot.