Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
from Everyday Italian with Giada. She is so convincing that I'll love everything she makes! I hope to try this soon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces chopped pancetta (about 1/2 cup) or 2 ounces bacon (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef short ribs
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (whole or diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 lb tagliatelle pasta noodles (fresh or dried)
- 4 -6 teaspoons shaved bittersweet chocolate
- Place the olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat. Cook the pancetta until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta from the pan and set aside.
- Add the short ribs to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, combine the onion, carrot, parsley and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely minced. Then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and pulse.
- Once the short ribs are browned, carefully add the mixture from the food processor to the pot.
- Return the pancetta to the pot and stir. Add the rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, beef broth, and wine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer for another hour and a half, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the meat and bones from the pot. Discard the bones.
- Shred the meat and return it to the pot.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta and 2 to 3 minutes for fresh.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the pot and stir to combine. Add the reserved pasta liquid 1/4 cup at a time, if needed, to moisten the pasta.
- Transfer to serving bowls, top each bowl with 1 teaspoon of chocolate shavings. Serve immediately.
This is just delicious! And such a wonderful surprise to bring out the shaved chocolate. I have served this many times over the years, and always get rave reviews. Thanks Giada!