1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a great recipe, modified from a Mark Bittman recipe. You can also use stew meat if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brown the short ribs in a Dutch oven over medium heat (takes about 20 minutes) or use the oven, turning the ribs once, for 20 minutes at 500 F.
- 2Remove ribs to a plate, reserving about 2 tablespoons of the fat in a large pot.
- 3Add the onions to the fat and cook 10-15 minutes, or until onions have softened.
- 4Add the stock or water, and a couple tablespoons of the wine (you can omit the wine totally, or add as much as you like).
- 5Bring to a boil and place the ribs back into the pot, covered.
- 6Add salt and pepper.
- 7If liquid looks low, add more wine and stock or water.
- 8Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9Add the potatoes, put the heat on low and simmer for about 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10Stew should be done when potatoes are soft.
- 11Stir in the dijon mustard evenly, and enjoy with thick slices of bread and butter.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Short Ribs With Mustard, Potatoes and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (601 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1461.8
- Calories from Fat 1119
- Total Fat 124.4 g
- Saturated Fat 53.8 g
- Cholesterol 260.3 mg
- Sodium 345.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 53.6 g