I got this in my e-mail yesterday from Ethnicgrocers.com in a newsletter. The newsletter gave recipes for a Polish dinner, and this was the suggested entree.Looks like a winner, and so it goes on my "must try" list. The number of servings was not given, so I'm guessing 6-8.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs short rib of beef, cut into serving pieces
- kosher salt or sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small onion, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 head cabbage, cut into weges
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot.
- Brown short ribs on all sides.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add remaining ingredients except cabbage.
- Cover and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Add cabbage wedges and cook until cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
I tried this last night and thouhgt it was pretty good, and easy to fix. The only thing I didn't like was how long it took to cook - but once it was done, the meat and cabbage had a wonderful tangy flavor.
Definately not diet stuff!! Very tasty. I cut the recipe in half and tried it to get away from all the holiday fair. We enjoyed it very much and will finish it up for lunch tomorrow. I added about 4 cloves of garlic,smashed, just because we like garlic and served some horseraddish on the side with boiled potatoes to finish it off. Thanks for sharing/
This a excellent recipe, my husband and I enjoyed this alot.