1/1 Photo of Short Ribs Braised in Coffee Ancho Chile Sauce
4 hrs 10 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed,seeded,and ribs discarded
- 473.18 ml boiling-hot water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 29.58 ml finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo, plus
- 9.85 ml adobo sauce
- 29.58 ml pure maple syrup
- 14.79 ml fresh lime juice
- 14.78 ml salt
- 2721.55 g short rib of beef (or flanken)
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml brewed coffee
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 2Soak ancho chiles in boiling-hot water until softened, about 20 minutes, then drain in a colander set over a bowl.
- 3Taste soaking liquid: It will be a little bitter, but if unpleasantly so, discard it; otherwise, reserve for braising.
- 4Transfer ancho chiles to a blender and purée with onion, garlic, chipotles with sauce, maple syrup, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- 5Pat ribs dry and sprinkle with pepper and remaining 2 teaspoons salt.
- 6Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown ribs in 3 batches, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes per batch.
- 7Transfer as browned to a roasting pan just large enough to hold ribs in 1 layer.
- 8Carefully add chile purée to fat remaining in skillet (use caution, since it will splatter and steam) and cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
- 9Add reserved chile soaking liquid (or 1 1/2 cups water) and coffee and bring to a boil, then pour over ribs (liquid should come about halfway up sides of meat).
- 10Cover roasting pan tightly with foil and braise ribs in middle of oven until very tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- 11Skim fat from pan juices and serve with ribs.
- 12Cooks' note: Ribs improve in flavor if braised 2 days ahead.
- 13Cool, uncovered, then chill, surface covered with parchment paper or wax paper and roasting pan covered with foil.
- 14Remove any solidified fat before reheating.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Short Ribs Braised in Coffee Ancho Chile Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (598 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1840.8
- Calories from Fat 1508
- Total Fat 167.5 g
- Saturated Fat 71.8 g
- Cholesterol 344.7 mg
- Sodium 1393.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 67.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo