Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Comfort food serve it with mashed potatoes.
- 2 lbs boneless short ribs
- 5 cups water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 4 celery ribs (with leaves)
- 4 tablespoons fat
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups stock
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 tablespoons fat
- 1 small onion
- sour cream
- Cut short ribs into 3 inch pieces.
- In a heavy Dutch oven add,water, 1st onion, carrot and celery.
- Bring to boil.
- Add short ribs.
- Simmer covered until nearly tender, for about 2 hours.
- Take the meat out and set aside.
- Strain the stock, set aside.
- Melt in the pot 4 tablespoons fat, whisk in 4 tablespoon flour and add 3 cups of stock, while whisking.
- (add a little water to make up 3 cups,if necessary) Season with salt and pepper and curry powder.
- In a heavy frypan heat 4 tablespoons fat, add 1 small sliced onion, saute till lightly browned.
- Add the meat to the frypan and brown it.
- Pour half of the gravy over it.
- Place the frypan uncovered in a moderate oven, 325 degrees for about 45 minutes until the meat gets brown and crisp.
- baste it occasionally with the drippings.
- Reheat the remaining gravy.
- season it and add 2 or 3 tablespoons sour cream Place the meat on a hot platter, pour the gravy around it.
- Serve it piping hot.
OUTSTANDING! Derf, these ribs are delicious, well worth the effort! I kept the veggies after straining the broth and put them back in, since that looks like what you did in your picture. I used bone-in short ribs, removing the bones after boiling. Edited to say that OF THE 350 RECIPES I REVIEWED IN 2008, THIS HAS GONE INTO MY TOP 20 FAVORITES COOKBOOK.
My first time making any kind of ribs. This was incredibly yummy. I used buffalo shortrib w/the bone, and added a chopped leek w/the veggies. I think that's what turned my stock & gravy green! Too funny, but it didn't slow down my dh and kids from enjoying it. I ended up w/6c stock total, which was a bonus. The drippings in the pan were SO good (I used bacon grease for the fat). Thanks, 'zaar, for being there when I gazed into my freezer for some meat to use up. Thanks, Derf, for a great meal.
Excellent! I added in mushrooms and did not strain stock. That way hubby can have gravy and vegies over mashed potatoes and son and I can have the whole meal. I had bones in short ribs and removed when tender. Thanks for posting!