Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
I found this recipe in a Williams and Sonoma catalog. It takes a while to make, but is perfect for a long winter evenings.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-inch inch dice
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, cut into 1/4-inch inch squares
- 1⁄4 lb cremini mushroom, cut into cubes (button mushrooms works just as well)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons beef demi-glace
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups white pearl onions
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 sheet puff pastry, 10-inch-11-inch square
- 1 egg water, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon water, lightly beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- Season beef with satl and peper.
- In 3 1/2 ct wide dutch oven over medium high heat, warm oil.
- Working batches, brown beef on all sides, 8-10 minutes per batch. after browned transfer to bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium, cook prosciutto until cooked crisp. After done, transfer to bowl with beef.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook mushrooms to tender, add to bowl with beef.
- Poor off excess fat in pot, return pot to medium heat, melt butter, sir in flour. cook stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in wine and demi-glace, cook for one minute.
- Slowly whisk in stock, bring to simmer.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, pearl onions, beef, prosciutto and mushrooms. lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pot bake until beef is fork tender, 2-2&1/2 hours. Discard bay leaf, spoon off excess fat, stir in parsley.
- Increase oven to 400°F.
- Place puff pastry sheet on lightly flowered surface, using sharp knife, score pastry with diagonal lines 2" inches apart, forming diamond pattern.
- Brush edges of pot with water, brush pastry with egg mixture, place pastry with egg side up over pot, and press edges to seal. trim edges to seal.
- Transfer to oven, bake until puffed and golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.