Recipe by chef FIFI
This healthy soup is enjoyed throughout the middle east, and although simple in preparation and ingredients, is a very flavorful soup. Adas is considered a main dish mainly because it is so filling, and is usually eaten with pita bread and lemon on the side. *I use Ziyad brand red lentils, they are very very small and cook up quickly(see posted picture), so if you cannot find them, and use a bigger red lentil you may need to adjust water and ingredients as well as cook time.* You may add veggies such as diced carrots, celery e.t.c, but this is how it is enjoyed traditionally in the Palestinian/Jordanian areas.
Top Review by Camel_Cracker
Thanks for the recipe! I used split red lentils from the Arabic store, which cooked about 10-15 minutes faster than whole lentils. I only had 1 Maggi Chicken cube left, so I added 4 teaspoons of Maggi Tomato and Chicken flavored powder. I am saving this to my favorites and will definitely make it again!
- 1892.72 ml water
- 354.88 ml small red lentils
- 3 Maggi chicken cubes
- 118.29 ml finely diced onion
- 1 garlic clove (grated)
- 7.39 ml fresh parsley
- 3.69 ml cumin
- 2.46-4.92 ml turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and drain lentils.
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer on medium/low for about 35 minutes.
- Make sure to stir occasionally to avoid the lentils burn or sticking to the pot.
- Serve in with lemon wedges, on side.