Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Traditional Amish Shoofly Pie...MMM! Molassassy :) and Crumbly-Delicious!
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup light molasses or 1 cup cane syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- Line 2 (8") pie pans with pastry; flute edges.
- Combine flour, sugar, 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and shortening; mix to make crumbs.
- Divide crumbs evenly between 2 pastry-lined pie pans and spread in smooth layers.
- Combine molasses, 1 teaspoons baking soda and hot water.
- Pour over crumbs in pie pans.
- Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes.
It had a great taste. I half the pie because I had only one ready pie crust. I also added whipped cream to the top for added taste. Thanks for sharing. Chief #220151