Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
From a 1950s cookbook whose cover is long-lost, Shoofly Pie in cake form. One of my husband's favorites, it's not around long enough for me to have to shoo flies away!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄3 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, combine butter, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla and molasses.
- Beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes; add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream, beating until smooth.
- Mix brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon.
- Spread 1/3 of batter in greased and lightly floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of the nut mixture. Repeat twice.
- Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until pick inserted near center comes out clean.
Lovely molasses flavor. I took a chance and baked it in a black silicone bundt cake pan. It came out a bit crumbly, but a day of sitting in the refrigerator helped that. Next time I will bake it at 325Âº and start checking it after 50 minutes. Great with a cup of coffee for breakfast. Thanks!
This cake was lovely! The molasses and the cinnamom give it a lovely flavour. Thanks for posting the recipe!