Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adopted from the RecipeZaar account. I haven't made these yet.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- 6 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a seperate medium bowl, mix together the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and molasses until you get a consitency of wet sand. It works best if you get down and dirty and mix with your fingers.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir. Add sour cream and beat until smooth.
- In a seperate small bowl, mix brown sugar with walnuts and cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees,.
- Prepare a 10 inch coffee cake pan with a thin coating of cooking spray and a light sprinkling of flour. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the nut mixture in the pan. Spread half of the batter over the nut mixture, followed by another 1/3 of the nut mixture, the remaining batter and the last 1/3 of the nut mixture.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before serving or slicing.
- This is really great served warm with butter. Stores well in the refridgerator for a week and warms up nicely in the microwave oven. BONUS-- BONUS-- BONUS-- Shoo-Fly Pie Recipe. (makes two 9-inch pies).