Recipe by Kim D.
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar. Until I make this myself, I will leave the original description written by the original poster... "A Pennsylvania Dutch origin, but not sure about this recipe though it's really good."
- 2 9-inch pie shells
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon boiled coffee
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 beaten egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Hand mix crumbs until crumbly and coarse like corn meal.
- Divide into 4 parts.
- Put baking soda in water then add coffee.
- Add molasses.
- Cool mixture then add beaten egg.
- Divide liquid into 4 parts and put 1 part into each piecrust.
- Add 1 part of crumbs on top.
- Let stand about 5 minutes so crumbs absorbs the liquid.
- Then add 1 part of liquid and crumbs until filled, leaving a layer of crumbs of top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake additional 40-45 minutes.