Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
Another recipe from the 1980 version of the Grace Evangelical Congregational Church cookbook from Muir, Pennsylvania that was given to me by my Nana when I became an adult. This recipe was submitted to the cookbook by April Schaeffer. She didn't specify the amount the recipe yielded. So, I am guessing.
Top Review by patkochi
These are nice brown sugar cupcakes.I made few changes, used butter, added raisins and cinamon. Next time I will use orange juice instead of water and a little orange peel.They have a nice texture but need a flavor twist.I made half recipe and got 10 cupcakes. They are better cold than warm. thanks for sharing.I really like church cookbooks.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredients together until crumbs form.
- Put aside 1/2 cup of crumb mixture.
- Mix together the wet mix ingredients.
- Mix together the dry mix bowl and the wet mix bowl until creamy.
- Pour into cupcake pans and top with crumbs that were set aside.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.