Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another recipe from the 1980 version of the Grace Evangelical Congregational Church cookbook from Muir, Pennsylvania that was given to me by my Nana when I became an adult. This recipe was submitted to the cookbook by April Schaeffer. She didn't specify the amount the recipe yielded. So, I am guessing.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix dry ingredients together until crumbs form.
- Put aside 1/2 cup of crumb mixture.
- Mix together the wet mix ingredients.
- Mix together the dry mix bowl and the wet mix bowl until creamy.
- Pour into cupcake pans and top with crumbs that were set aside.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
These are nice brown sugar cupcakes.I made few changes, used butter, added raisins and cinamon. Next time I will use orange juice instead of water and a little orange peel.They have a nice texture but need a flavor twist.I made half recipe and got 10 cupcakes. They are better cold than warm. thanks for sharing.I really like church cookbooks.