Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
The leftovers make delicious sandwiches! This is a copycat recipe I found on the web.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 lbs rump roast, trimmed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- 20 whole peppercorns
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- Brown roast in butter in Dutch oven; remove meat from Dutch oven.
- Sauté celery, onion, garlic, parsley and thyme in Dutch oven for 5 minutes; return meat to Dutch oven.
- Add the beef broth, peppercorns, bay leaf, and salt to Dutch oven; bake in 325° oven, covered, for 4 hours, basting every 1/2 hour.
- Remove roast from Dutch oven. Strain stock into bowl. Discard vegetables.
- Using 2 forks, shred roast into bite-size pieces. Pour reserved stock over beef in Dutch oven. Add carrots, potatoes, and salt to Dutch oven and bake in 325° oven for 45 minutes.
- Drain stock from Dutch oven and add enough beef broth to stock to make 3 cups. Whisk stock and flour together in saucepan and simmer until thick. Pour gravy over meat and vegetables.
Was looking for a good Pot Roast recipe and thought I would give this one a shot. Cooking the rump roast in the dutch oven is critical. When it was done, it fell apart sooo nicely. I HIGHLY recommend using low sodium beef broth. I used regular beef broth, which made the roast to salty.
Made this fop supper, everyone loved it. Seasoning was great . All said a 5 star for sure. Very easy to prepare. "as my niece says.... try it you'll like it... thanks zusie for the recipe