Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
CopyKat.com, just kije the resturant. Good on a cold day.
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 (13 3/4 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1⁄2 medium cabbage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Chop the tomatoes and reserve the juice.
- Brown the beef with the onions.
- Drain the fat.
- Add the beef broth, beans, tomatoes, and juice and tomatoe paste if desired.
- Add the cabbage, and simmer till tender.
- Add salt and pepper.
I just made this and could NOT resist having a small bowl before I put it away for tomorrow night (cub scout night). My dad has been talking about Shoney's cabbage beef soup for some time now, so he's going to be thrilled, because it DOES taste like it. I don't typically eat much meat because it doesn't sit well on my stomach, but this, I think I'll just grin and bear. Thanks so much! Oh, and I used extra lean ground beef, crushed tomatoes, and beef consume mixed with water to make up the broth.
Easy, tasty! Great, filling soup for a cold evening. I used ketchup instead of tomatoe paste as that is what I had on hand. Don't think it took away from anything. Delicious!