1 hr 1 min
Sephardi Kitchen's Note:
This Persian dessert is absolutely delicious! Although it takes awhile to cook, it is fairly low-maintenance. Adapted from Najmieh Batmanglij's "Persian Cooking for a Healthy Kitchen".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup white rice
- 8 -10 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup corn oil or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup rose water
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1Wash and rinse the rice several times.
- 2In a large pot, bring the rice and 8 cups of water to a boil. Skim off the foam as it rises. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes until the rice is soft.
- 3Add 2 more cups water, as well as the sugar. Simmer for 25 minutes longer, stirring occasionally (be careful to not over-stir).
- 4Grind the saffron and dissolve in a couple tablespoons of hot water.
- 5Add the saffron water, corn oil, almonds, cardamom and rose water. Mix well, cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. Remove the cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes longer, or until the rice has thickened to a pudding. Remove from heat.
- 6Immediately spoon the Sholeh Zard into a large bowl or individual serving dishes.
- 7Garnish with cinnamon, slivered almonds or slivered pistachios, if desired.
- 8Chill and serve cold.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sholeh Zard- Saffron Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.3
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 87.8 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: