Recipe by Pets'R'us
Shoarma is so popular in Holland that you might forget it is from the Middle East! When we lived abroad I really missed it and tried to copy the spice mix that you can buy here in the shops. There are many makes and blends in the shops, they all taste different, now try the homemade mix! Note that there is no salt in the mix so do not forget to add with cooking, or if you give this as a gift to mention it. After you have tried this you can always make some changes to suit your own taste.
Top Review by Lorac
This was worth waiting for! I marinated 3 boneless chicken breasts (pounded thin) overnight in 2 tbls of oil, 2 tbls of lemon juice and 3 tsp of Shoarma Mix. I pan fried the chicken in butter and served it with garlic green beans. There is no need to add any thing else, the lemon juice works magic with the spice mix. Shoarma Mix would make a wonderful gift as well as a special "secret" ingredient that will make your guests beg you for any recipe you make with it.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- If you have whole spices and the time, dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds in a frying pan for several minutes, let them cool and grind as fine as possible Mix everything together and put in a small jar Shoarma idea for 4: approx 1lb pork, lamb or chicken, cut meat in strips, add 1 tablespoon oil and lemon juice, 1 or 2 teaspoons of the spice mix, add salt to taste, mix and leave for a few hours or overnight.
- If you like add some chopped onion, crushed garlic, chopped chili pepper and a chopped sweet pepper to the meat mix.
- Fry or grill this until done.
- Serve in a wrap or pita bread with a mayonnaise sauce, Tzatziki or try my Yoghurt Chutney (recipe#38562) and add some finely chopped cucumber to it.
- Use for barbecues, marinades and so on.