Shoarma is so popular in Holland that you might forget it is from the Middle East! When we lived abroad I really missed it and tried to copy the spice mix that you can buy here in the shops. There are many makes and blends in the shops, they all taste different, now try the homemade mix! Note that there is no salt in the mix so do not forget to add with cooking, or if you give this as a gift to mention it. After you have tried this you can always make some changes to suit your own taste.
- If you have whole spices and the time, dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds in a frying pan for several minutes, let them cool and grind as fine as possible Mix everything together and put in a small jar Shoarma idea for 4: approx 1lb pork, lamb or chicken, cut meat in strips, add 1 tablespoon oil and lemon juice, 1 or 2 teaspoons of the spice mix, add salt to taste, mix and leave for a few hours or overnight.
- If you like add some chopped onion, crushed garlic, chopped chili pepper and a chopped sweet pepper to the meat mix.
- Fry or grill this until done.
- Serve in a wrap or pita bread with a mayonnaise sauce, Tzatziki or try my Yoghurt Chutney (recipe#38562) and add some finely chopped cucumber to it.
- Use for barbecues, marinades and so on.