Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
best low calorie(ish) moist & delicious bran muffins, a variant of my mum's recipe
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla, nonfat or lowfat)
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran (not oat bran)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- (Note: if you don't have splenda or prefer to use real sugar, then change ingredients to 2/3 cup brown sugar and 2 tbsp of molasses.).
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease muffin pan *heavily*.
- Put raisins in a mug and cover with warm water by 1 inch. Microwave for a minute to warm it up. Set aside to soak.
- Mix milk and yogurt together, mix in wheat bran. Set aside to soak.
- In a large bowl, mix together *dry* ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together *wet* ingredients: oil, egg, sugar, vanilla, molasses. When blended, add in the bran & milk & yogurt and mix inches
- Drain the raisins, which should now be soft and moist, and mix them into the *wet*.
- If you're including walnuts and/or coconut, mix them into the wet ingredients now.
- Double-check that the muffin pan is greased and the oven is hot.
- *Rapidly* mix the wet into the dry. The moment it is mixed, spoon into muffin pan and slam it in the oven.
- Set the timer for 18 minutes. Give it the standard toothpick test for doneness (stick it in the middle; it should come out clean). It may need to bake as much as 22 minute.